The Top Things Your Body Needs to Be Healthier
by Jeff Cordeiro
Here are the top 14 things your body needs to be healthier. The order is unimportant. What is important is that you choose one thing
from the list that you are not currently doing and add it to your daily routine. Twenty-one days after that (thatís how long it takes to form a new habit), add the next easiest thing
on the list to your routine and so on. If you do, in less than ten months, you will have drastically improved your quality of life and added years of enjoyment.
1. Drink eight glasses of filtered water every day. Your body is mostly water. Water is vital to life and you need it to flush toxins. Have one eight ounce glass of water as soon as you wake up. Have another glass after you shower. Have one glass before you begin work and have one glass one hour after every meal and snack. There are your eight glasses. If you have any alcohol, add one more glass of water for each drink. If you work out, donít count the glasses you drink during exercise and, if at all possible, avoid water in plastic bottles containing
BPA (a known toxin).
2. Exercise at least three times a week. Warm up, stretch and flex the knees, hips and even fingers (ala the old Jack LaLanne show). Start off slowly and gradually make your routines more difficult over time. Push yourself but never strain. Workouts should be fun and produce endorphins. Overdoing it can cause burnout and injuries can derail your progress. Workout barefoot as often as possible. One quarter of the bones in the body are in your feet for a reason. Strong feet provide a solid foundation. Switch back and forth between short intervals of aerobic and non-aerobic exercises for maximum results Ė you want to be winded but not feel ill. Vary exercise routines to keep your body on top of its game. Cool down and stretch the legs and back to keep the spine in proper alignment after every work out.
3. Get 10-30 minutes of sun (less for lighter skin, more for darker skin) three times a week as close to noon as possible without sun block on days with clear skies (filters like sun block, clouds and windows allow more damaging UVA rays through and fewer beneficial UVB rays). Your body is designed to use sunlight to produce vitamin D. It is not designed to ingest vitamin D (vitamin D is the only vitamin not found in breast milk). Natural vitamin D production lowers cholesterol and balances hormones.
Vitamin D also controls over 2000 gene functions. Many illnesses are linked to vitamin D deficiencies and 75% of the
U.S. population and over 90% of the Canadian population is vitamin D deficient.
Also, do not take Vitamin A supplements or cod liver oil. Recent studies
show that Vitamin A supplements may negate the health benefits of Vitamin
D. Instead, get your Vitamin A by eating colorful vegetables. The body
will produce the precise amount of Vitamin A it needs from the
beta-carotene contained in the vegetables.
4. Stay clean without going to extremes. Just use regular soap and warm water. Anti-bacterial soaps and antiseptics have only succeeded in creating stronger bugs and weaker immune systems. Take short showers to minimize chlorine exposure ("Showering is suspected as the primary cause of elevated chloroform in nearly every home because of the chlorine in the water. Chloroform [a known carcinogen] levels increase up to 100 times during a ten-minute shower in residential water" - Environmental Protection Agency - Dr. Lance Wallace). After exercising, soap your entire body to prevent toxin re-absorption. On sun exposure days, only soap the ďnastyĒ bits to maximize vitamin D re-absorption and leave natural skin-protecting oils where they belong.
5. Use a Neti Pot to assist your immune system. One of your bodyís first lines of defense is your nose. We are designed to breathe through our nasal passages. Flushing them with a salt water solution daily will aid in the removal of allergens, pollutants, bacteria and viruses. In addition to fewer allergies, colds and bouts of the flu, using a Neti Pot can reduce sinus headaches and tooth pain.
6. This one may seem hard to believe but it is also one of the easiest things to do. Donít wear metal jewelry. Your body uses electrical impulses to communicate. Every cell in your body requires clear signals to function properly. Metal of any kind on your body can inhibit your bodyís electrical flow and attract external radiation like an antenna. It is estimated that, in the last 100 years, our daily exposure to radiation has increased ten-fold, due to manmade sources like radio, television, satellite, and cell phone signals. Additionally, each airplane flight exposes the body to the equivalent radiation of four full-body scans. Now, everyone knows how harmful excessive radiation can be. So, make your body less attractive to radiation and improve your bodyís ability to fuction.
7. Eat the proper foods for your ancestral type, in the proper amounts (protein portions no larger than the palm of your hand and three-quarters of your calories from fruits and vegetables), and eliminate foods made with refined carbs (like sugar, flour, or high-fructose corn syrup). Eat fresh (non-processed) locally-grown organic and in-season foods (the body is designed to gain fat in the summer and use it in the winter), in the proper combinations (donít eat fruits with other foods; only eat one protein per meal, etc.) and in the proper order (from easiest to digest to hardest to digest). Donít drink beverages with meals (they dilute digestive juices) and alter your diet once every 6-10 days to keep your metabolism on top of its game. Improper nutrition can be linked to almost every disease known to modern man.
8. Most foods available for purchase today are deficient in vital nutrients like vitamins, pro-biotics, Omega
3 oils, antioxidants and beta-glucans (the keys to flipping the switches on your immune
supplements may be necessary. The closer to whole natural foods (not foods fortified with isolated and often synthesized nutrients) the better but sometimes itís just not possible to get everything your body needs from the foods that are available (studies have shown that todayís fruits and vegetables have only a fraction of the vitamins and antioxidants now that they had in the 1950ís, due to todayís chemical fertilizers, pesticides, genetically modified seeds, and long-distance shipping). One great source of Omega oils, antioxidants and beta-glucans can be found in a rich fruit-juice blend called
MonaVie. Drinking this juice has been shown to return the bodyís pH to proper levels, stabilize blood sugar levels and much more.
9. Drink eight ounces of green tea one hour or more following meals. Green tea has been shown to provide a multitude of health benefits.
10. Relax. De-stress with breathing exercises (breathe in for a count of five and out for a count of five, five times, five times a day), positive thoughts, meditation, daily prayer, etc.
Listen to soft music in a dimly lit room (recent studies show doing this
for just three months can reduce anxiety levels by 50%). Never worry or make a fear-based decision (you will produce ďstress-hormonesĒ like cortisol, which disrupts your bodyís ability to balance blood sugar levels). Drive at the speed limit using the cruise control (this will reduce stress, allow you to be more vigilant and have the added benefit of using less gas). Take a break from whatever you are doing every two hours. Get a massage regularly to keep muscles relaxed and the spine in alignment (keeping your bodyís electrical communications flowing).
11. Detoxify. Knotted muscles indicate excess toxins. Sweat to eliminate toxins by either getting a moderate amount of sun exposure or by exercising on a regular basis. The fewer toxins your body holds, the less deodorant it will need. So, use as little deodorant as necessary with the most natural ingredients available. Do not use antiperspirants that inhibit the body's ability to sweat and beware of toxic ingredients like aluminum. Clean with green products. Regularly change home HEPA air filter. The fewer toxins your body has to deal with, the quicker it can heal itself. Just be aware that, during periods of rapid detoxification, you may feel worse rather than better (headaches, weakness, aches, rashes, etc.). Don't confuse the detoxification process with being ill and don't take medications (aspirin, ibuprofen, etc.) that will halt the detoxification process. These temporary (usually 3-10 day) irritations are good signs that you are getting healthier. It's in with the good and out with the bad.
12. Participate in social activities, at least, twice a week (love life, laugh and sing). Go bowling, golfing, dancing, or play softball. All of these have the added benefit of combining fun with exercise.
13. A good undisturbed nightís sleep is a must; the younger you are, the
more you need (infants: 20 hours; teenagers: 12 hours; adults: 7-8 hours). Unclothed is best and keep the room comfortable; not too warm or too cold.
And keep it dark; no light in the room; especially blue and green LED
lights - they disturb sleep the most (our bodies want to sleep when it's
14. Donate blood quarterly. It could save a life Ė maybe yours. As blood gets old, it thickens and becomes less effective at delivering nutrients to the rest of your body. By donating blood, you force your body to produce new efficient blood cells, keeping blood viscosity normal, and blood pressure down.
I hope you found this article informative and beneficial.
Eat Foods for Your Type
The Difficulty With Diets
Detailed Listing of Acid - Alkaline Forming Foods
Expose Yourself and Be Healthy
Holiday Traditions or Holiday Temptations
Last Chance for Sugar and Sun This Year
Sugar Tied to High Blood Pressure
Eat Right For Your Type
The Genotype Diet
Join Our List and Get a FREE Gift
Add your name to our list and be the first to receive the latest news, product information and alternatives relating to health and wellness. You will also be invited to special events. You may opt-out at any time and the contact information you provide will be used exclusively by New Health Basics and will never be shared with any other entity. As a thank you for joining, you will be provided a link allowing you to download an eBook version of the best self-help book ever written - Think and Grow Rich.
Be Our Team Beachbody Friend
Itís kind of like MySpace or FaceBook for people who want to get healthier. At Team Beachbody, you can network, find a workout buddy, learn about nutrition, talk to a fitness coach, blog, and much more. Itís free to join and you can even win, up to, $1000 for working out. Click here to check it out.
Any purchases made through the following links help to fund
New Health Basics. Thank you for your support.
Please click here for a list of past articles.